Clitoria ternatea -Butterfly Pea-
€ 14,50 – € 80,00
- Vibrant Color Blue
- 100% Pure, no additives
- Sustainable harvest
- Botanically accurate
Latin name: Clitoria ternatea
Also know as: Asian pigeonwings, bluebellvine, blue pea, butterfly pea, cordofan pea, Darwin pea, Blue tea
Clitoria ternatea – Butterfly Pea
Clitoria ternatea or butterfly pea is revered as a holy flower, used in daily puja rituals. The flowers of this vine were imagined to have the shape of human female genitals, hence the Latin name of the genus “Clitoria”, from “clitoris”.
In traditional Ayurvedic medicine, it is ascribed with various qualities including memory enhancing, nootropic, antistress, anxiolytic, antidepressant, anticonvulsant, tranquilizing, and sedative properties. In traditional Chinese medicine, the plant has been ascribed properties affecting female libido due to its similar appearance to the female reproductive organ.
Known for its luminous indigo colour, Butterfly Pea has traditionally been used as a vegetable in cooking, to colour deserts or to make a strikingly vibrant coloured tea. Butterfly Pea is jam-packed full of health promoting antioxidants, flavonoids and peptides and has shown considerable promise as a natural remedy for a range of health complaints.
Some key health benefits of Butterfly Pea are:
- The Nervous System – Butterfly Pea has a calming effect on the brain
- The Digestive System – Butterfly Pea is an antiemetic (anti-nausea), antidypsetic (anti-indigestion), mild-laxative and cholagogue (stimulates flow of bile from liver)
- The Circulatory System – Butterfly Pea is a haemostatic (helps stop bleeding) and a blood purifier
- The Respiratory System – Butterfly Pea acts as an expectorant and has shown to reduce the irritation of respiratory organs, useful in treating colds, coughs and even asthma.
- The Urinary System – Butterfly Pea is a diuretic, helping promote normal urination and can be used for dysuria (difficulty urinating)
- The Reproductive System: Butterfly Pea is reported to be spermatogenic, aiding in normal sperm production
- The Integumentary System – Pre-maturing ageing is often a problem of the skin. Flavonoids present in Butterfly Pea have been found to boost collagen production, increasing the skin elasticity.